Beazley Ambassador Scholarship
The purpose of our Beazley Ambassador Scholarship is to increase the number of diverse professionals working as leaders in the field of insurance.
At Beazley, we have a wonderful mix of cultures, experience and backgrounds with over 1500 of us working around the world. We believe having a diverse workplace will support our vision for growth and outperforming the market. Employing individuals with wider perspectives and from a broader skill base should lead to a more dynamic, innovative, and responsive organization.
We are awarding three $5,000 scholarships to underrepresented minority students who want to enter the field of insurance or insurance-related fields. We also invite all recipients to apply for a local internship and they will be given priority interviews.
Criteria to apply
1. All applicants must:
– be interested in exploring a career in insurance;
– be a US citizen; be a current or incoming undergraduate or graduate student at an accredited institution;
– be in good academic standing;
– be a member of a protected class (whether it be race or ethnicity, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability, citizenship, sexual orientation, or gender identity); and
– be involved in supporting diversity through education and/or advocacy in their school or community;
2. Applicants will also need to submit:
– name; address; resume including grade point average; name of college or university; email address and contact phone number;
– a letter of recommendation from a teacher, professor, academic advisor, leader of a group that they are a part of or the like; and
– a completed video (strongly preferred, if the applicant is capable) or written essay
Applicants will submit their required documentation along with either a two minute video essay OR a written essay (approx. 1000 words, 12 pt font, times new roman) addressing the following:
Why does diversity in the workplace matter and how should companies showcase this?
Upon completion of your video, please upload to YouTube and provide your contact information and the link to email@example.com. If you have a written essay, please submit in a PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application period will be open from 15th April 2019 to 1st June 2019. Members of the Beazley’s US Diversity Steering Group as well as our executive sponsor, Lou Ann Layton, will select the three scholarship recipients. The recipients will be contacted directly, and with their approval, have their videos/essays shared on the company intranet site for all employees to reflect on the fresh ideas developed by the future of the insurance workforce. With their approval the videos may also be shared externally on Beazley’s social media platforms.